Wednesday, April 11, 2007

 

john 5

Hi fans of me. I like got some friends and fans. I got home from seeing the family and going to the Twins game this week. We played the Yankees and they were just so hard to win a game from. They are a bunch of all stars and I think they are good to beat whenever we can. We did get one out of 5 this week. I think the Twins are going to be fun to watch and going to be in the playoffs.
I guess the lent series went ok. I do not think I got into some of the places I wanted to. I am going to another one maybe in the fall on the false teaching of the calthlics but I got to get back to verse by verse study because I think that is what the Lord wants us to do with the bible. I do not think topics are good because it makes us not face the bible as a whole and I want to do that. Now if you read this and tell me that you do not like the way I am doing this then I ask you not to read this.
John 5 After this there was a feast of the Jews, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 2 Now there is in Jerusalem by the Sheep Gate a pool, which is called in Hebrew, Bethesda, having five porches. 3 In these lay a great multitude of sick people, blind, lame, paralyzed, waiting for the moving of the water.
(Some manuscripts do not have the last part of 3 and 4 in them. We have them and I am not sure how they are going to fit into the story.)
I do not like to make a point on the miracles of Jesus as I think they speak of the truth of Jesus being the Lord. So I am going to not make a sermon out of them. I more want to get into the minds of the people and see where that takes me. Now this pool was one where people are getting healed just by touching the water. Another thing worth pointing out is how John talks about the temple and this helps us date the whole book to before the time the temple was burned down in 70 ad. We place the date at 60 which is 30 years after Jesus lived and died well within the court of time making the book historic. I need to say that because some do not think the bible is history and that is not truth.
4 For an angel went down at a certain time into the pool and stirred up the water; then whoever stepped in first, after the stirring of the water, was made well of whatever disease he had. 5 Now a certain man was there who had an infirmity thirty-eight years. 6 When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he already had been in that condition a long time, He said to him, “Do you want to be made well?”
7 The sick man answered Him, “Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; but while I am coming, another steps down before me.”
Jesus asked him if he wanted to be well. I wonder why he asked this... Is Jesus making him choose and what would the man do if he did not want to be healed? I know Jesus already knew the mans reason is he wants to be healed and be filled and be whole. Do we ever get this asked in our faith? So Man do you want to be right with the Lord. Do you want the power Jesus has for you? Jesus then does not take him to the pool he goes and just heals.
8 Jesus said to him, “Rise, take up your bed and walk.” 9 And immediately the man was made well, took up his bed, and walked.
Jesus said to get up and be well and walk. The man did that and is healed. But the end of this story which I am going to next time might be part of the end of Jesus and a reason the cross happens. It leads to tons of things Jesus is going to say to the people that is going to want the people hate him and many today take parts of the next few chapters and hate Jesus because of what he said.
Got to tune in to see the end

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?