Wednesday, February 15, 2006

 

WORLDLY

NOTE THE DRESS OF A CHRISTIAN IS NOT THE THING TO LOOK AT. I AM MAKING A POINT YOU WILL DRESS IN A WAY NOT TO SEXUALY TO ATTRACK PEOPLE

I am not going to like this next part of the bible. I know that many have ideas on the topic of being in the world and not be best topic for me. I am not sure what it all entails like music or news or do we not do things like sports or whatever? Let me say that I am not sure on this but I am going to learn what it is. I want to ask some things and then put my thoughts into answer.

Here is the text I am going to work on here.

James 4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”?
6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says:
“God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble.”[1]

Is rock music a thing of the world?
I think in some way the rock and roll of today is not what it used to be. I thing this way on music a song is a work of art. When you sing a song you are performing art. If you sing happy birthday you’re singing a greeting to a birthday person. If you play a song on a saxophone your seeing notes that one has composed and your playing them. SO it is a neutral thing for the most part. I think if opera is about sex it is sinful as I think a rock song about sex is wrong. But not all music is about sex. I heard rock induces a sexual thing and to be that is not right. I like Garth Brooks and his style but I am not sure his songs are the cleanest.

Christian music can be good and can be bad. I know some songs that are about losing the faith and I do not like that kind of stuff. Or a song that is not correctly written because of the things it teaches. I do not see any style as sinful and rebelling toward the Lord. Jesus can use a pretty gal to lead a male to himself and Jesus has used petra to lead folks to his name. I know a man that came to Jesus in a Ken Copland service but I think Copland is not a solid bible teacher. So I do not think music is worldly in style.

I do think the content of music can be about worldly things and that is where to me a problem is and where I have to not listen to bands and love them. Loving the world can be watching the news too much, It means you love yourself more than others, It means you trust money,

If you love Jesus your not going to like going to drink or party in worldly ways. I think your going to want to live in a way Jesus would want you to live. Your going to dress in a way that honors Jesus. Ok I am talking about dressing to not tempt others to want sex or bad things. But dress well. Worldly folks do not care about others Christians ought to. Being in the world is selfish and wanting to seek you but seek others.
God is jealous for you if you are his. Jesus longs you to share all you have with him. He loves you and died so you can talk to him and he wants you to do that. He wants you to just be in love with him and live in him. Jesus does not want you to lose sight of the Love he has for you. He wants you to know he has you a place for you and a love for you that will allow you to spend forever in his arms. He wants your heart loving him alone and not trusting in anything else. If your trusting in anything but Jesus I beg you to think of what he did for you and trust alone in Him.

I want to say hi to my friends at the ymca and at Masters. Also Hi to Brad and Ron. Ok
[1]The New King James Version, (Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson Publishers) 1998, c1982.

Comments:
I like your thoughts, Shad. You can sing "Amazing grace" to the tune of the Gilligan's Island theme song. So, does that make Gilligan's them okay, or does it now ruin "Amazing grace"?

Okay that's a rhetorical and silly question. But a good point, I hope.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
"What we wear and how we look are a picture of what we believe."

I guess I'm inclined to believe that. What I wonder is what does it say about one's beliefs to be all hung up on the "outside of the cup."
 
Anonymous ;)

Open your Scriptures again. Read Matthew 6:28-30. What does it say about clothing?

Also, correct God if He's wrong, but doesn't Romans 14:4 (wait, finding my dusty ol' KJV) say:
"Who art THOU that judgest another man's servant?! to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up for God is able to make him stand."

Connect that with James 4:11-12a (NLT this time so the words sink in a little better) "Don't speak evil against each other dear brothers and sisters. If you criticize and judge each other, then you are criticizing and judging God's law. But your job is to obey the law, not to judge whether it applies to you. God alone, who gave the law, is the judge.

I am glad you stand on your convictions. Do not make others follow what YOU believe. Jesus said very harsh things to those who did such and I know that is not where you want to be.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
This is the extent of my interest in what I wear and what it reflects about who I am as a Christian, is it modest? I'm no longer overly concerned about what "culture" says is "appropriate" church attire. My family's income is considerably below the federal poverty level so should we feel ashamed because we can't afford what is considered "culturally acceptable" church attire? Does the Lord provide for our every need? Of course!! Is it necessarily the trendy, "in style" clothes that the majority of our culture wears? Honestly, much of what is trendy and "culturally acceptable church" attire isn't really my cup of tea, or even particularly modest. On the other hand, the churches I've attended lately haven't seemed too concerned about what "culture" says is "appropriate church attire" (ie suits, ties, and dresses)and yet everyone is modestly dressed. So do I think what I wear is a reflection of my spiritual maturity? Certainly. But, once again, what about what I'm wearing is truly important? Whether I'm wearing jeans, as opposed to a dress, or whether I'm modestly attired.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Regarding your reference to James 4, these verses are about slandering others (see any good commentary) and are not about dress codes, so then James 4 does not seem to be relevant here.

Oh? Do they not apply to believers who have the idea that they are better than others, even in the areas of dress? And cast disparaging comments upon them? I understand your desire to help others, but we are not supposed to do it by biting and devouring one another. (Gal 5:15) (Upper crust English accent is best here) I have cast no aspersions on the wearing of 'proper' attire.

What I disagree with is the desire some people have in making others into their fashion pawns.

"Do not make others follow what YOU believe. Jesus said very harsh things to those who did such and I know that is not where you want to be."

To the above statement, I would reply that it is you who seems to be attempting to discredit others' Biblical interpretations and personal applications -- so that YOU can set up your own rules to which you wish to make others conform.


I never said you couldn't wear a tie or coat. You are implying that others have to dress up to YOUR standards. Of course, you can't see that right now. But, wear your culturally conforming attire. I have no problem with it. I know that God is more interested in the inside of the cup than the outside.

You can go ahead and keep being anxious about how others dress. I wait for you to wash the inside of your cup.
God is more interested in my heart than whether or not I dress the way you think I should.
God is more interested in your heart than whether or not I believe it is your choice.

Legalism adheres to the letter of the law.

There is no law against love.

Praying.

Ron
 
http://www.mindspring.com/~brucec/craindex.htm
 
When, Shadman, did a church ever tell you had to dress a certain way to get through the church doors?

Never happened. But to get to the church doors, now THAT is another matter.

Isn't it anonymous? ;)
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
There are absolutely no ungodly music styles? Would God agree with that statement?

Lets see if you can point out the styles in the bible that are wrong.

A rock
b opera
c Gaithers
d Swing
e Jazz

So me the chapter and verse for each style. Note this is a fair and honest question
 
I never said you couldn't wear a tie or coat. You are implying that others have to dress up to YOUR standards. Is Of course, you can't see that right now.

Were they soley "my" standards as you erroneously imply and accuse, Ron?


I do not care how many worldly follower are in the YOUR, darkness dweller. It is still the opinion of those who have lost that intimate connection with God.

Pray. Ask. Forgive.

What happens to those who don't forgive, darkness dweller? Come out into the light with your name. Remember what happens to those who don't forgive others. What does God do with them?

Come out of it dd. You are in a bad place right now, and need God to pull you out. Run, don't walk toward the light. He will forgive you. The scriptures in which you place so much faith tell you that.
 
and I never said either that their styles are found in the Bible

Then how do you know yours is right, darkness dweller (dd)?
 
So I want to think this over honestly. rock has some fruit in it that is not going to be Godly. I for example think the rolling stones are not good for a christian to listen to. I honestly think tons of sexual tunes are not rightous. I also think rock and roll could be bad for a church because it does make folks worldly. I have been praying over this issue and I am not going to say I totaly think all ccm is good. I know of a ray boltz song and a Petra song that I cannot listen to because of doctuine. I also know of groups that are in it for money. I also know good people that sing for Gods Glorhy alone. On my desk sets some cds. I am going to tell you them and where they stand in my minde.

Steven chapman. I saw him in MN and this man is the real deal.

Point of grace. Not good to think they went on a donnie and marie show and sang. I think that was bad. I saw them sing and I know they love the Lord.

Chris Rice I love his song writeing and his ballads. He sang a hymn for the ages. He is a youth man that happened to get a dfeal

Natlie Grant never hear the cd. SO I am not sure

Master Choir music. Well that is not fair but I love good singing and well Masters

Hymns a singers sing good hymns. Love it because hymns teach tons about the Lord.

I like all kinds of music

Oh forgot one rOBIN NOEL. She is my singer
 
we thought he could be edified regarding these concerns.

Seems to me like you are saying that Shadman is weaker and in need of your 'help', darkness dweller.

Come into the light, so all may see you.

Those who hide under a cloak of anonymity are fearful cowards. Revelation 21:8 tells us where they are destined.

Renounce your fears, be a darness dweller no more, and come into the light!

Come! Jesus is waiting! Come into the light of your own accord and confess!
 
And I also said that when in question it is better to error on the side of caution, so that others are not made to stumble in their walk with the Lord (even if it has no ill effects on oneself).

I am sorry you stumble so often that you cannot allow others to do what is pleasing to the Lord. I didn't realize that God stepped off HIS throne and let you take charge of what HE says is right.

Are you still afraid darkness dweller? Read Hebrews 10:26-27

I am not in sin when I love another. You are not showing love darkness dweller. Come out of it and come to Jesus. He is the way the truth and the life. The rules and scriptures are not. Jesus is.

Jesus is the way.
The scriptures point to Jesus.
Jesus is the truth.
The scriptures point to Jesus.
Jesus is the life.
The scriptures point to Jesus.

Get out of your bondage to the law.

Yoke yourself to Jesus.

The day of salvation is at hand.

Take His hand. Please.
 
And I also said that when in question it is better to error on the side of caution, so that others are not made to stumble in their walk with the Lord (even if it has no ill effects on oneself).

That is EXACTLY what the Levite and the priest said while walking on the road and seeing the man left for dead. Be a good Samaritan.

Don't err on the side of caution.

If you must be in error, err on the side of Jesus.

HE IS THE ONLY WAY!
 
My apologies, anonymous.

I allow the pricks and barbs to wound me. I know better, but do not always apply it well. I don't always follow Christ perfectly. But I do try to love. (Romans 7)

Shad did try to follow. Encouragement and the betterment of others is what love tries to do. I just disagree with the application which was used in the matter.

I forgive you. Can you do the same?
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Very nice site Shad!-Amber
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?